Polenta Casserole with Chicken Sausage & Fried Eggs
This recipe will be a crowd pleaser at any weekend brunch! Packed with protein, it will also satisfy your appetite. Craving breakfast for dinner? This is a perfect option too for mixing up your evening routine. Serves 6 people.
- Cooked 1 batch of polenta (use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Corn Poletna for GF option)
- 1 lb ground chicken sausage (spicy if you prefer)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 pepper (green, yellow or red), diced
- 1 bunch greens (kale, chard or spinach)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2-3 cups extra water (to make consistency of grits, so less dry than recipe calls for)
- 6 eggs
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200° Fahrenheit
- Cook the polenta per the instructions on the package. Have 2-3 cups of water on hand to add as they cook – you’ll want it to be a little soupy in consistency.
- As the polenta is simmering, prepare the chicken sausage in a sauté pan. Once cooked through, spoon into a 15 x 10 glass casserole dish and add the tomatoes. Place into the oven to keep warm.
- Continue to stir the polenta. Add water every few minutes to keep them from thickening.
- Next, sauté the onions, green peppers and greens (add a little butter if necessary) until onions are soft and greens are tender. Add to the casserole dish and return to oven.
- Once polenta is ready, remove casserole dish from the oven and combine with other ingredients. Mix all ingredients together well.
- On a griddle or in a large sauté pan, cook 6-8 eggs to over easy (if you don’t like runny yolks, cook longer.)
- Spoon the polenta mixture into individual bowls. Top each bowl with one egg.
- Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt and black pepper to taste and enjoy!
Looking to incorporate more healthy recipes like this into your food routine? Not sure how to get started? Contact me to schedule an introductory health coaching session and we’ll create your next steps!