This recipe is not your store-bought hummus – it’s much better! When purchasing the ingredients, choose options that are free of preservatives and gluten-free. Pair this gluten-free treat with gluten-free crackers or cut veggies.
3 large garlic cloves, minced. 1/4 tsp reserved for garnishing
Fresh juice of 1 lemon, squeezed
1/4 cup of tahini
1 15 oz can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinse and liquid reserved
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup of reserved liquid from beans (or less if you prefer a thicker hummus)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Optional: 2 tbsp pine nuts for garnishing
- Mince the garlic cloves and reserve 1/4 tsp for later use.
- Add garlic, tahini and lemon juice to a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds.
- Scrape contents from side of processor.
- Add the garbanzo beans, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and reserved liquid to the processor.
- Mix on high for 1 minute or until hummus has reached your desired smoothness.
- Spoon hummus into a serving bowl. Garnish with olive oil, 1/4 tbsp of minced garlic and pine nuts.
This recipe makes enough to serve 3-4 people as a light appetizer.